Long distance motorcycle trip mistakes to avoid based on my own experience motorcycle traveling. I have ridden motorcycles all over and have learned many mistakes the hard way. I hope this video helps you avoid some of the common mistakes that I see new motorcycle travelers making.
THIS IS A REMAKE OF AN OLD VIDEO AND HAS BEEN UPDATED TO REFLECT NEW EXPERIENCE AND PERSPECTIVE. I HAVE ADDED ON TO THE ORIGINAL CONCEPTS AND INCLUDED A BONUS TIP AS WELL. HERE ARE THE NOTES FROM THE ORIGINAL VIDEO:
Some of the top five mistakes for long distance riding are:
1) Over packing. Avoid this by using a scale to weigh what you want to pack, this will help you prioritize. You should also be working within your motorcycles load capacity, as well as the capacity for your saddlebags or cases. Using a scale will also help make sure your bike is balanced properly from side to side.
2) Not having a plan. Avoid this by planning a itinerary. Just make sure not to be too ambitious. If you can take more time to do less mileage and shorten the trip to fit your timeline. It is important to have some structure but avoid adding unnecessary pressure to yourself.
3) Too much focus on destinations. Try to switch the focus to route instead. Look for the most scenic and fun way to get from A to B. Cool places and pit stops will present themselves if you stay off the main highways and explore a little.
4) Staying in too many hotels. This will quickly deplete your budget and can easily be avoided by camping more or staying in Air BnB. Check out my video on finding inexpensive and free places to sleep on the road here: https://youtu.be/0l9A2_ir1gA
5) Gear! Make sure you have the proper gear for the climate you will be traveling in. It is better to have a modular helmet that can be closed in bad weather, rather than having an open faced, 3/4 helmet that leaves you constantly exposed to the elements. Rain gear will be crucial on any long trip. Also make sure to wear all your safety gear all the time!
Hope these tips help you avoid some heartache on the road! Thanks for watching!!
⏬⏬⏬SUPPORT THE CHANNEL:⏬⏬⏬
?CHECK OUT THE PERKS ON PATREON HERE: https://bit.ly/2GWdcDN
☕️ BUY TIM A TANK OF GAS HERE: https://bit.ly/2ujl1vb
? BUY TIM A GIFT HERE: https://amzn.to/33KhKEH
?ITEMS MENTIONED IN THIS VIDEO (Some of these are affiliate links and will help support this channel with a small commission at no additional cost to you.)
◾ Check out what gear, equipment and more I like to use for motorcycle travel: https://amzn.to/2LfwuWV
◾ Wacaco Nanopresso: http://www.wacaco.com?aff=275
◾ Surviveware FAK & Wet Wipes: https://surviveware.com/?rfsn=2868901.153d6c
◾ AltRider: www.altrider.com
◾SHIRTS AND HATS HERE: https://bit.ly/2uUSdfE
◾STICKERS HERE: https://fortytimesaround.bigcartel.com/
?CONNECT WITH ME
?WHO IS FORTY TIMES AROUND?
Forty Times Around is creating online content to educate and motivate two wheel travelers. On this channel Tim from Forty Times Around talks about all things #MOTORCYCLE #CAMPING #TRAVEL and #ADVENTURE related. We are putting out two new videos a week on Tuesdays and Fridays. This can be anything from gear reviews, tips and tricks, how to’s, motorcycling destinations, current motorcycling events, vlogs and more! Be sure to subscribe and hit the bell so you don’t miss anything: https://bit.ly/2GD0I4s
? RELATED VIDEOS
◾ Check out my Idaho Backcountry Discovery Route Adventure here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmpTjKtll3l1bf36-1c-S9_